When people in Virginia drive their vehicles, there is always a possibility they will end up in an accident. There are many other vehicles on the roads, sometimes travelling at high rates of speed. It does not need to take a major mistake to cause an accident in some situations.
While there are many reasons that motor vehicle accidents occur, some are more common than others. Understanding these common causes of accidents can help drivers avoid the issues that cause them and hopefully be involved in fewer accidents.
Common causes of accidents
Some of the common causes of car accidents are:
- Distracted driving: There are many distractions for drivers, but one of the most common and most dangerous is using phones while driving. People need to keep their eyes on the road while driving and not look at their phones.
- Drunk driving: This is another very dangerous thing to do while driving and could lead to criminal penalties.
- Speeding: Speed limits are in place to ensure people have sufficient time to react to unexpected circumstances and when people go too fast it shortens the time they have to react.
- Reckless driving: People should not take unnecessary risks while driving. Not only may they hit another vehicle, they can cause other drivers to react and hit a different car or object.
- Not obeying stop lights and stop signs: All drivers rely on every other driver to not run red lights and stop signs. When people do run red lights and stop signs, they leave drivers with the right of way little time to react.
- Weather: When there is rain, ice or snow on the ground, drivers need to slow down due to slippery conditions and longer stopping distances.
When drivers in Virginia avoid dangerous driving behaviors, they are less likely to be involved in an accident. However, that does not mean that they can avoid all accidents. This is because other drivers on the roads may make poor decisions.
Victims of these types of accidents may be entitled to compensation for the damages caused by the negligent drivers. Experienced attorneys understand the difficulties that surround being in a car accident and may be a useful resource.